Tips from the Massage Room
Options in massage can be numerous, including deep massages, ones with warm oils and targeted body massages. There are hot stone massages, shiatsu, aromatherapy and Swedish. It can be difficult to keep up with all the various methods and techniques. By constantly educating yourself on the art of massage, you will be able to handle just about anything.
- Try getting a therapeutic massage. There has been proof that this type of massage can lower stress levels, help get rid of tension headaches caused by contracting muscles in the face, neck, and head, and better the breathing of asthmatic children. It’s believed that is the type of medical massage is so successful due to people believing in it so much, which creates a powerful mind and body connection.
- Massage is great during pregnancy but wait until after the first trimester. During the first trimester, your baby is in the earliest stages of development. Toxins released during a massage can harm the fetus or inhibit growth during this delicate period. Once you have reached 16 weeks, you should be all clear to enjoy a massage.
- Make the most of your massage by drinking lots of water. Why? Because a good massage gets your circulation going, but water is needed to flush toxins out of your body. Hydrating before your massage makes your blood less sluggish, making it easier for the massage therapist to rub excess lactic acid out of your muscles. Staying hydrated after aids your body in processing and eliminating these toxins
- If you suffer from PMS each month with excessive water retention and cramping, there just might be some help for you. The power of massage has been shown to help reduce that unsightly water retention so that your pants will fit a little easier. It also can help relieve the pain that comes with cramps
- There are many benefits to getting a Thai massage. In addition to relieving tension, you may have in your joints and muscles, it can also strengthen your nervous system and help you become more flexible. The therapist will stretch your body out for you, but you must control your breathing.
- When you decide to get a massage, make sure you are communicating with your massage therapist. If you have any massage preferences, make sure you tell him or her when entering the room and before starting. If during the massage you are feeling pain or experiencing numbness, make sure you let your therapist know by speaking up.
- If you have a favorite fragrance of massage oil, bring it to your next massage. More than likely, the therapist will be willing to use it. Sometimes they may have a preference for oils of a certain type, but it is definitely worth asking to see if they are willing to use your favorite.
- Have you been having trouble sleeping at night? This is a common problem that a lot of people have in common. If you are leery about taking prescription or over the counter sleep aids, there is a solution. Having a massage relaxes your mind, body, and spirit, which helps you to fall asleep easier each night.
- Do not hesitate to talk to your doctor about massages. If you deal with back pains or muscle pains on a regular basis, ask your doctor if massages would be a good solution. Your doctor should be able to recommend a good massage clinic in your area and even write you a prescription.
- Be vocal with your massage therapist. Talking may be the last thing you really want to do during a massage, but it can be the difference between an ok experience and a great one. You need to let the therapist know what areas need work and what techniques work best.
- If you’re always catching an illness from everyone else, there is some hope! It’s well known that massage stimulates white blood cell production. This is very important because they assist your immune system in fighting off viruses, preventing you from getting sick more often.